Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Dude

This moment is so special it deserves a post. Every week since I have been volunteering, The Dude has been there in his same kennel as other dogs have come and gone. Yesterday over the phone, I discovered that The Dude had found a family and would be going home that day. I nearly cried. I couldn't have been happier. Now I truly do believe that good dogs can find loving homes no matter how long it takes.
Ironically, the night prior I had just finished a book - The Dogs Who Found Me. It's about a young writer/teacher who helps find medical attention and homes to stray dogs who cross his path in life. He struggles with letting them go and will forever wonder how they are doing. Now I understand. The Dude is the last of the dogs that remain since I began volunteering at EBHS in early November. I am forever grateful for dogs like The Dude, for what they have taught me.

Peace Dude.




No comments:

Post a Comment